Beginnings




camp photo from the 1970's

In January of 1957, the Conservative Mennonite Board of Missions and Charities (now known as Rosedale Mennonite Missions) purchased what we now call Bethel Camp. The property was purchased for $30,000 from the Bethel Children’s Home and consisted of approximately 300 acres and a number of buildings.

The property was purchased upon request and recommendation of a number of mission personnel located in the eastern Kentucky area and representing the Conservative, Ohio, Virginia, and Indiana-Michigan Conferences. Reasons given for the purchase were: